Monday, November 12, 2007

Roadtrip, Hooray!

We decided on Friday afternoon that we really should do something to celebrate our Veteran's Day three day weekend. My first few calls were to some little lodges near Sequoia, California to go see the Giant Redwoods. They laughed rather heartily when I asked if there were any vacancies for this weekend. Apparently like its neighbor Yosemite, you have to book at least several months in advance or plan to pitch your own tent. Now we have been adventurous enough to camp in a tent in our own backyard in OK. When I say "we", I mean M and I and Becky and the kids.... C slept in the house, in the king size bed, with the LCD TV and the Dish network.... because someone had to listen for L you know... never mind I kept the monitor in the tent with me! C loves the outdoors tons, but camping? on the ground? without AC or any other form of electricity? with two kids under 6? [This characterization does not reflect the views of C in any way, shape or form. Signed: the man, myth and legend]

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

So where did we end up you ask? San Jose of course. Because they have a Zoo, a huge Mall, and your choice of four Chuck E. Cheeses. The Happy Hollow Park and Zoo was an awesome place for families with small kids.


C and the girls whooping it up on the dragon ride....


It's a small zoo with an odd and interesting assortment of animals. The only large animal they have is a beautiful Jaguar. Most of the other animals were members of the rodent or marsupial families. One strange, but absolutely true "coincidence" about a few of them? They were listed as being the natural prey of? You guessed it... The Jaguar. A little disturbing discovery but somewhat amusing to C and I and our rather warped senses of humor. My favorite exhibit you ask? A colony of Guinea Pigs!
Strangely, I could have watched this little herd all day.



More and more I realize that I really am not a city girl at heart. I keep insisting on introducing my girls to all manner of livestock, up close and in person. You notice who is the one who is always doing the feeding? I can't help myself.

You know those Orbitz gum "Dirty Mouth" commercials? This guy should have been there spokesmodel... Left me a lovely brown hand.....GROSS!




I also mentioned a Mall... We definitely had a "hick" moment on this trip. The mall we went to had the largest Target I have ever seen. No, I didn't go to Macy's. Of course, I went to Target. This sucker was two stories and this is where it got funny and in hindsight, embarrassing. We were headed to automotive to get two plain black license plate holders because C could not stand to do one more minute of free advertising for the dealer we bought the Armada from. The SUV we absolutely LOVE, the dealer we do not! On our way through the store we passed the escalators, all three of them. That's right. They have a separate escalator that lifts your cart up or down for you. And there we stood, blocking the aisle, showing M and L the cool machine that escalates the carts, all of us disappointed we hadn't brought a cart along to try it out. In hindsight C and I laughed our you-know-whats off imagining what the people were thinking about the funny folks with the southern accents standing there gawking at the escalators. Boy, we know how to show our kids the world... We also visited the Disney store. Three Disney princesses, and one screaming toddler tantrum later we were done with the Disney store. They were also done with us!

Sunday, we spent a few hours contributing to the coffers at Chuck E's. We did not go to the 2 story CEC because I was afraid it would be sensory overload, for C and I anyway... The girls had a ball. I beat C at basketball. The day was a total success.


Happy Veteran's Day to all who so greatly deserve it. May we never forget those who have sacrificed.











2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Seriously woman you look fantastic! Can I borrow that outfit and the hair? Those guinea pigs are the largest I've ever seen! And I'm totally jealous of the weekend vacay. I want to come along next time. Miss you guys.

One Crazy Adventure said...

Having worked for Target for years, I have to admit that my 'Target is the greatest' moment also occurred when I saw the cart escalators in my first visit to a 2 story store (say that several times in a row). Next time you go, you'll know to bring a cart. I've been known to grab one just for a picture frame.