Friday, November 16, 2007

The Mole...

No, we are not talking about the reality show, or even the creatures tearing up my yard. The entity I am referring to is the object of both of my girls' obsession. The mole below my left eye.


Now I don't remember ever not having the mole, or ever really caring about it for that matter. I guess I am lucky that it never bothered me or apparently anyone else, prior to my children. Now, it may be true that any of my middle and high school unrequited crushes were totally appalled by the mole, but thankfully none of them were ever heartless enough to tell me. The worst thing a boy ever did was make fun of my hairy arms.... Remember that shaving incident Mom and Dad? Oooh boy, they weren't amused. But I digress. From as early as M could talk, she would sit in my lap and touch it very gently and say "mole, mole, mole, mole...." incessantly. It was mesmerizing, for her. I considered it a cute and hopefully passing fascination. When L started talking it was not quite the same reaction.... She also had the "mole, mole, mole" refrain down. Her physical response, however was not nearly so gentle or sweet. L is convinced if she pushes or scratches hard enough she can either smash or remove all together this heinous flaw.



Now, when we were in San Antonio, I became mildly obsessed with "the MOLE" myself for a while. I went so far as to see the dermatologist at Wilford Hall because I could tell it was growing because I could for the first time see it in my peripheral vision out of my left eye. Here's where it would have been helpful to have the same doctor for more than two years in a row... The Dr. saw no concern with the mole but couldn't speculate as to why it had grown. Umm, hello? If he had known how much the rest of me had grown, it might have given him a little insight... When you get fat, so do your moles. Who knew? I am not making this stuff up! Anyway, self loathing aside, the doctor was convinced from the myriad of other scars on my body, that removing the mole would only leave a more hideous and gaping scar on my face in its stead. Umm, no thanks.

A couple of years later in Altus, L's obsession with removing it for me, forcefully, took me back to the doctor with hopes they would see things differently. No such luck. They again were sure, that a disfiguring scar would result.

So, I have embraced my flaw. The good news, lose a bunch of weight and your mole shrinks too.

As you know from having seen my Wii Mii, even she has a mole. She is also over six foot tall, but as I told C when he wanted to shrink me down to size, it's my virtual reality and in it I will be statuesque darn it!

I have one remaining burning question. How come Cindy Crawford's mole is considered her signature beauty mark worth millions? 'Cause otherwise she and I are twins, right?

3 comments:

One Crazy Adventure said...

Just made me think of Austin Powers... Molie, molie. Heehee.

My first day of 6th grade (new school & town), I vividly remember one kid saying to another kid (about me) 'ewww, don't talk to her, she has moles on her face'. Nice. AND, I had the same lady that worked for me TWICE tell me that I had been bitten by something.

Got to love the moles.

Jamie said...

ha ha... i was thinking of austin powers, too!
-i found your blog thanks to K =)

Patriot said...

Haha - I also have a mole on the side of my face that I've never had removed!

Just came across your blog tonight and wanted to let you know about a new giveaway I'm hosting this week. Come check it out when you get the chance! Thanks!