Tuesday, September 11, 2007

This is NOT a democracy...

No fear. This is not a political entry.

Today's title refers to our household.

Somewhere along the way it seems the inmates, our totally beloved offspring, got the impression that they were running the asylum. This is NOT the case. As such C and I have adopted our new mantra.

THIS IS NOT A DEMOCRACY.

This is our new answer to the age old question. Yes, we are, in fact, the boss of you. As you can imagine, we have not totally worked out the whole hierarchy between C and I. There is some question of ultimate authority, but really those are minor details.

Take for instance this morning. I had just returned from dropping M off at school. C and I were in some very important conversation (I have no idea what...) when my precious little L marched into the kitchen and announced "stop talking Mama!!!!" Excuse me? Much bigger people than you, my little one, have tried unsuccessfully for years to shut me up. I must admit that momentarily I was stunned into silence, but I recovered quickly. We have recently discovered with L that only completely ignoring her will stop a fit. Our new method of correction is to move her to a nice soft spot on the carpet and let her rip. She will then throw herself down face first, again on the carpet mind you, and raise the rooftop. Thank goodness we no longer have the old Altus hardwood floors throughout. The child would be purple. Anyway, now when she gets mad, all we have to do is say go to the carpet L and away she goes. It's very hard to be too annoyed at a tantrum when you are so busy laughing at her as she locates a nice soft spot to land.

This morning's "request" though does follow a recurring theme with L. If any of you have ever travelled with me, you know I must sing in the car. You most likely also know that I should not sing...unless you are tone deaf (lucky you!) The radio stations here are a little sketchy. The only thing we can get with great regularity is classical (not a fave of mine) and Tejano. The only Spanish I speak is from Dora, and I don't particularly care for the accordion so Tejano is out for me as well. SO, we listen to a lot of kids CDs. "If you like to talk to tomatoes," sing along all you Veggie Tales lovers. (I know you're out there Aunt Elizabeth!) Anyway, I know them all and proudly I sing. Usually within the first two stanzas you will hear a loud little voice from the backseat yelling..."Don't sing Mama!" How rude can you be, really? I gave birth to this little runt. There is one exception. I am always allowed to sing "The Wheels on the Bus". This is only because I am the only person who will do all of the verses with all of the hand motions, and yes, while driving. Makes you glad not to be driving in CA doesn't it?



Another funny little aside to our car radio adventures. This past Sunday in church C informed me one of the worship songs was the wrong tempo. How does a rocker know this you ask? Because one of M's all time fave CDs for the car is Worship Jamz. Boy the times have changed.

Today's pic is just because I can hear Grandma and Granny now insisting that the little angel L would never need a time out. I think the look on her face says it all.





As a final note today, I tried to think of a way to best address today's date. I finally decided that it goes without saying that none of us will ever forget. I will leave the proper tributes to those who are so much more capable. I think the best I can do is to just continue to contribute some levity when I can to an otherwise very serious world.


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Your post prompted me to go to YouTube just to listen to the theme song! God, I miss my 5 year olds at the daycare! I really do like to talk to tomatoes.

I used to tell my Mom not so sing too. I dunno what it is, but it drove me crazy. But I'm with you, if I were the mom, I'd keep on singing.

P.S. Best pic of L ever! Hilarious!