Thursday, September 6, 2007

A Long Time Coming....

So, today's entry is going to be a little different. I need to start with a warning. Any of you of the male gender who are still reading this blog (except probably Papa) may want to go ahead and log off now. This is going to be long (surprise...) and sentimental (sappy...) Any one who REALLY knows me, knows that deep down (and sometimes right there on the surface) I am a VERY emotional person. As C will attest to, I cry at all things patriotic. I cannot even watch the military flybys or the National Anthem on Sunday NFL games without shedding tears. It's almost impossible for me to make it through a church service without waterworks. This Sunday it was "How Great Thou Art". I cannot hear this song without hearing my dearly beloved late Uncle Roy belting it out at the top of his lungs while my Dad accompanied on piano... It was usually followed by "Amazing Grace" and then some assorted medley of Conway Twitty and Charlie Rich. So, the point is, I know myself. I often avoid conversations of gratitude to avoid embarrassing myself. I have decided now though, that this blog is the perfect forum for me to say some long overdue public thank-yous. This way I can get through it and stay on track!

First and foremost, I am blessed with C, M, and L. They are, without a doubt, the reason I was put on this earth! There is nothing more I can say. This particular blog is not, however, about them. I do try to make sure they know they are appreciated everyday.

This blog is about some of the incredible women in my life. There have been times in my life when I thought many of the women around me were primarily catty and not worth my time. All girls' schools and sororities seem to bring out a lot of not so attractive female traits...
It is only now as I am struggling daily to raise two strong beautiful girls, that I am so aware of how blessed I am to have so many great female influences!

There are actually too many people to mention by name, but a few absolutely cannot go unnamed so here we go. (In no particular order...LOL)

Kim B.

Wow, we have been friends for over 30 years. We have definitely seen the good, the bad and the ugly (short hair with perms..what were we thinking?) You are such a blessing. As kids we had our ups and downs. How could we not have? We are still two of the most hard-headed and competitive women I know. I guess it's finally okay to just own up to it and embrace it. I am thankful everyday to know that you are out there still choosing to be my friend. I know that your 3 precious ones keep you on overdrive. I am humbled that you still take the time out to catch up with me. I expect that we really will grow old together, even if we physically live across the world. Time has shown that very few others will put up with me that long!


Becky S.

You may be the latest addition to my list of unforgettable women, but I feel like you have been with me forever. You (and your beautiful family) made Altus OK the most wonderful place to live. You have given me so much perspective. I look at you and the way you interact with your kids, and I see the woman I want to be. There are so many things I feel I never thanked you properly for (most recently the beautiful going away presents you gave us). The biggest gift you gave me was your willingness to share your time and your family. Some of our lazy, totally unproductive days at the park, pumpkin patch, lake, etc., will go down as some of our most treasured family memories. Time and distance will separate us now, but catching up with you will always be a priority.


Jen.

Where do I start? If I had been blessed with a sister, it would've been you. The times we have weathered together have bound us for life. I can only hope that my two girls will share a similar bond as they go through life's trials and tribulations. I know that the tough times we have survived together may define us, but I must admit that the fun times are what I remember most. Give us some good music girl and clear the floor. We will always be the last ones standing (dripping with sweat and ravenous, but standing all the same).


Kenwyn W.

You have shared so much JOY with me. Your friendship with my Mom has set the standard by which I judge my own relationships. The times it has been most difficult to live so far away from my folks, have always been made more tolerable by the knowledge I can reach out to you and have a direct pipeline to home. I can only hope that I might someday influence some young woman as much as you have me.


Regina

OK, I tear up before I even start. You are the most wonderful blessing to me. First and foremost, you created and nurtured a beautiful son. You made him a man who loves and respects women. What better gift is there that you have shared him with me? Beyond the obvious though, is the person you are in MY life. How many women can truly consider their mother-in-law a best friend? You inspire me daily with your devotion to family, work, friends, and of course, God. I am so proud to be a part of your family!


Lastly and definitely most importantly, my very own hero, my Mom.

Everything good I have and I am are a direct testimony to the woman who made me. Like all mothers and daughters, there have been ups and downs (my teenage years...) but I am certain with every fiber of my being that I would not have the beautiful life I love without your example. My mom was the first one to support me when I decided, at the last minute, to quit work and stay home with M. It had never been discussed and she was most likely quite surprised. Truth be told she may have actually been a little alarmed (knowing my personality fairly well...) However, her support then and since has been unwavering. She is the one who taught me to give and demand respect. I can only hope that I can pass that most essential lesson along as well to my girls. I am so proud of my Mom and forever proud to be her daughter.

So, I feel better now. I have done my best to share my thanks with a few people I may have often taken for granted. As a true sign of my friendship, I am not including pics in this blog. As I was going through our library of thousands of pics looking for the best one of each of you, I found out that I must be a very bad photographer. As gorgeous as you all are, all of my pics are not so, shall we say, favorable. I assumed all goodwill would be lost if I included said pics, so I will refrain in the interest of harmony. I promise from now on to stay on the lighter side of our daily adventures, but hey it's my blog so who knows? I warned you.

No comments: