Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Homework...

OK, so who knew that when your child enters kindergarten, YOU start getting homework? I have now cut out frogs, stapled rainbows, collated several early readers, and even assembled 64 felt mice with 128 googly eyes. I am actually leaving out a few things, but you get the idea. Kindergartners these days complete a LOT of projects in a few short hours each day (and according to C we must keep ALL of these masterpieces for posterity). Now someone must do the prep work for all of these projects. Our beloved teacher, Ms. Shugars, cannot possibly do it all as well as teaching 20 five-year-olds and caring for our classroom zoo of one "Cosmo" chameleon, two frogs "Hoppy" and "...The Other Frog", one field mouse "MiMi", and several spiders (and yes, the spiders were caught by hand and are hand fed...YUCK). Oops, mustn't forget the aquarium full of crickets to feed Cosmo. So, it falls to us Moms and Dads to fill in the gaps. Each day as I drop off M, I check the parents' homework counter to see what needs to be done. I have managed to dodge a bullet twice now, where the project at hand came with directions which included the words "be creative". Keep in mind, although I was blessed with some musical talent, some athletic talent, a gift for gab, and even a tiny bit of my Dad's poetic skill, I am in no way an artist! I am not sure where M's artistic leaning comes from as I have played Pictionary with her Dad (once...) and let's just say we were not the victors. (Go Team Sides..) Anyway, I have gone seriously offtrack here, but if you ever speak with me directly this is making perfect sense.

So, I was doing my homework this weekend and M wanted to know why I "HAD" to do it. I explained to her that I actually enjoyed it (apologies to Mom and Dad who only had to wait for my mid-30's for that to happen). I went on to explain to her how once she and L are both in school full-time I would like to go back to school again. Her immediate response... wait for it... "you mean a school for old people". Yes, my dear M, that's exactly what Mommy meant. SO, now not only am I still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up, but apparently I will qualify for the senior citizen tuition rate. You know me, anything for a discount! On that same note, I am looking for a future career that will combine my love of chemistry (or cooking, essentially the same thing), my previous management and public relations skills, and allow me to move with my family every 2 years. I also consider it a requirement to actually be home with my kids and husband for dinners and homework. So as you can see, employers and venture capitalists will be lining up at the door to interview me. I think my dear friend Becky is right. By the time my kids are both in school, if I have any brain power left, it may be best spent working part time at a cool store with a huge discount. Watch out Pottery Barn, here I come...

Well it's time to get dinner together and get ready for our homework. C and I both have lunch patrol at school tomorrow. I am betting one 20 minute lunch with L's assistance and they won't be requesting us both anymore...


A couple of random pics from our Labor Day jaunt...

No comments: