Tuesday, September 25, 2007

School Days


Well, we are all officially settled in our new routine. C has begun his classes and it seems he will have no shortage of reading and writing to keep him occupied. He is happy to be a student again. I am happy Uncle Sam is paying for it...

Our other star student is making great progress in kindergarten. It seems her transition to full- time student has been almost effortless. Her only complaint is that she misses our regular play dates with all of our old pals. Apparently a full day of school, complete with three recesses, does not fulfill our play quota.

L and I, it seems, will have multiple opportunities to entertain ourselves with volunteer projects at the school. I agreed to "help out" with the upcoming Fall Festival. I was thinking you know donate a cake, work an hour in a booth etc.... Suddenly I find myself the "Booth Coordinator" for the whole shindig. I feel fairly certain they saw my "Sucker" name tag from a mile away.
.
I thought you might like to see some examples of what M is doing in school. Apparently 5 year olds are much smarter than they used to be. I know for certain that I was not reading, writing journal entries, and doing "book reports" in Kindergarten. In all honesty, some of her work taxes my brain now...

The following is a journal entry for the letter C. They have to write one sentence about anything they choose related to the letter and draw a picture. M chose to write "Carina the camel lives in the desert." She drew the pic complete with cactus and flies totally unassisted. I have mentioned that I have NO artistic ability, right? The only thing I did was sound out each word so she could spell out her sentence.

The second example is a book report. We read the book together and then she draws a picture of her favorite part and writes a caption. Her book was Cinderella Penguin. Her caption reads "The Great Fairy Penguin dressed Cinderella for the ball." Again, all I did was help her sound out each word so she could write her sentence. Who needs spellchecker if you have a kindergartner around for Pete's sake?


Obviously, C and I are thrilled that M is loving school so much. My only concern lies in how quickly she will surpass my ability to assist her. At this rate, it may be soon...






4 comments:

One Crazy Adventure said...

Hehehe... from one sucker to another, Good Luck!! K

PAPA said...

Great looking camel, M. To sucker S, the greatest ingredient to a child's success is involved parents. I spent a career pushing for that. Love, Papa

Elizabeth said...

I'm so proud! She's such the smart kid and I love it! If she needs help with humanities subjects (which it seems she will be getting to soon with book reports in kindergarten!) you know who to call. As for math and science, no help to be gained from me! Love you guys!

PAPA said...

ffhjkkln m